Saturday, 5 January 2008

K-popped! Kitchen: Pajeon (파전)

Thanks to a reader comment, I clicked to My Korean Kitchen for some recipes on Korean pancakes. Check out the blog! Lots of sumptuous recipes and tantalising pictures.

The hae-mul pajeon Liz and Orchid had looked delish. It didn't look difficult to make, so I decided to try my own. Below is a recipe for a plain vegetarian pajeon. I think I'll try a hae-mul pajeon (seafood pancake) next time because it's so easy!

Let's make 파전!

Step 1: Ingredients!

Pretty straightforward stuff here -

  • green onions / scallions
  • oyster mushrooms
  • daikon radish
  • carrot
  • an egg (beaten)
  • flour mix = 3/4 cup all-purpose flour + 1/4 cup rice flour + pinch of salt + sprinkle of black sesame seeds (optional)
Julienne or thinly slice vegetables, toss together with a drizzle of sesame oil.

Dipping sauce - mix 1tbsp light soy sauce + 2tbsp brown sugar + 3tbsp hot water + splash of lemon juice (or any kind of vinegar, but I ran out) + chopped chilli + lemon zest (why not, eh? he he)

Step 2: Make the batter!

Combine flour mix and beaten egg in a bowl. Add room temperature water and stir until your batter has a consistency that's smooth and slightly runny.

Note: Egg can be replaced with 1 tbsp of corn or potato starch as a binder. And if you don't have rice flour, just use all-purpose all the way. :)

Step 3: Make pajeon!

I've seen many ways to this from websites - some mix the veggie in the batter or cook the filling first then mix it in the batter - I guess whichever suites your mood will do.

Lightly grease frying pan with vegetable oil and place pan over a low heat. When the pan is well heated, I placed my veggies in first, then spooned the batter over the vegetables. These were small pajeons so they only took about a minute and a half to cook on each side. Keep your pan evenly heated and well greased to avoid sticky pajeon.

Step 4: Eat!


Easy, no? And the best thing is - pajeon recipes are so flexible! Have fun!

More K-popped! Kitchen
Japchae
Su jeong gwa (Persimmon Tea)
Tuna Kimbap
Kimchi Jjigae

Digg this story Add to your del.icio.us account del.icio.us


If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to our K-popped! Feed

6 Comments:

kpop_rub said...

OMG I LOVE YOUUUUUU
The only place I have been able to find these is Chinatown in San Francisco... I was beginning to think they were completely unique to there! Seem so easy.. I have all the ingredients in my kitchen <3 tankies

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I had tuna pajeon last night. I think you should thicken the dough a bit Rooster to get a chewy pajeon. And yes, they are flexible, use what ever stuffed you had in your freeze to make them. I used the sesame oil to fry. The smell is voila!

Anonymous said...

looks broken ..ahem. i mean good job! (sorry, couldn't help myself - just kidding, just kidding)

there's some korean pancakes sold down here, but they are super greasy cause they keep pouring the olive oil on it (my eyes were like "ah...that's enough" ..)

probably pour the dough first to fry for a while, then put the vegie on top, then pour more dough and flip to make the vegie coinside more with the dough?

Anonymous said...

Ok Meiruo. Will try that, thanks for the tip! Do you think if I added more rice flour I'll get a chewy-er pajeon as well?

k-pop_rub: Do tell us how it turns out!

hjn: Haha, yea, looks broken doesn't it? I was trying to be fancy with the plating but I guess the roti jala look doesn't fit the panjeon. He he. I'll try a more traditional one with the haemul panjeon.

Anonymous said...

yay :D im glad i found this blog. haha..got the link thru popseoul news about the pajeon. never knew that there were that crazy malaysian korean fans. im one to :D im going to try this out. im the only one in the family that crazed about korean stuff. pfft..thanks for the easy steps!

Anonymous said...

Thanks I wanted to make pajeon but I didn't know how to... sounds easy, but shouldn't you just mix everything together first before putting it in the pan? And ya, more batter too! Looks nice, but it would be better with more filling!

 

© Blogger Templates| Webtalks | Copyright © 2007-2009 K-popped! Some rights reserved | Powered by Blogger