Thursday, 24 January 2008

YouTube goes Korean

Popular video sharing website, YouTube has a Korean version (www.youtube.co.kr)! It was launched yesterday (Jan 23) at the Shilla Hotel in Seoul.

A screen capture of youtube.co.kr!

YouTube’s international manager Sakina Arsiwala said that Korea is a very attractive market, especially with its robust IT infrastructure.

“Rather than just translate our site into Korean, we worked to localise the service so that users can see the most popular video clips in Korea as well," she said.

Established in February 2005, YouTube is the world's largest video sharing website. It was acquired by Google for US$1.65mil (US$1 = RM3.27) in Nov 2006. Korea is the 19th country to get a localised version of YouTube, following countries like Britain, France and Australia.

Google Korea president Lee Won-jin said, "I hope that videos created by Korean netizens will spread around the world through YouTube, causing another Korean Wave or craze for Korean pop culture."

Excellent, 화이팅!

Source: Digital Chosunilbo

Digg this story Add to your del.icio.us account del.icio.us

If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to our K-popped! Feed

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa I feel like I havent been here for a long time XO

It was acquired by Google for US$1.65mil (US$1 = RM3.27) in Nov 2006.
^ Anyway, I find this very informative *haha*

I actually look foward reading posts on non-artistes related from Kpopped! When I read local newspaper on stuff happening at Korean, my mind directly goes to Kpopped and wonder whether there will be a post on that particular news *haha*

kpop_rub said...

hmmm I hope this doesn't hinder the Korean videos available on youtube as of now... I remember when the Japanese got in on it all the Japanese shows were subsequently deleted! I got a warning from avex for posting a sample of a TVXQ song! GAHHHH
But I hope Koreans start using it more cuz their webplayers loads sooo sloooooooooooooooow if at all... for me now!

Orchid said...

i thought PandoraTV was the official Korean video site.

But PandoraTV loads awfully slow. I would rather go to YouTube.

Hmm...hopefully the Korean YouTube will have lotsa Korean video offerings as well as faster loading! :-)

Unknown said...

Right. Pandora TV is bloody slow. Actually many of Korean websites are slow, including the mega portal website NAVER. I think it's because Korean websites have too much graphic on them. I prefer google's simple display.

Orchid said...

Hi Joe, I thought South Koreans do not need to worry about heavy graphics on their web pages since Korea has the highest household broadband penetration in the world.
South Korea No. 1 in household broadband penetration

That's why the Korean sites can afford heavy graphics. Plus the minihompy is so successful over there. Over here, it takes ages to load.

Anonymous said...

Korea is the most wired country in the world, but that doesn't mean the servers that host these websites can support all the traffic properly. Korean websites are notoriously slow in my experience. My Cyworld isn't so much but that's probably because they can afford more servers and the bandwidth (it's still slower than it should be sometimes). The fact that so many people in Korea have internet access anywhere and anytime contributes to slow sites because there is so much traffic. I was trying to get info on a Nurian electronic dictionary just the other week and it took 5 minutes to load each page on my 5mb/s download connection, and this is the top Korean electronic dictionary company!

Orchid said...

Clammy, how does a non-Korean log into Cyword? I tried to log in to view some pages, but to register, i think you need a Korean ID right?

So Cyworld's are only for Korean citizens? Or those who can read Korean. I tried, but failed to log in. =)

Can we view your Cyworld? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Well I am Korean, but you need to have a Korean id number. I had to email and send a copy of my drivers license and some other info to Korea.

I don't do anything with it at ALL. I only had it because my then girlfriend made me get it! There are really only pics up there (of us) and comments. I guess you could view it if you find it! But I'm not gonna tell!

There's also an American version of cyworld that anyone can join.

meow said...

Wow youtube korean ^^
I like to view vids in YT becoz they load so much faster unlike in korean vid streaming sites like pandora which really loads soo slow T^T

meow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 

© Blogger Templates| Webtalks | Copyright © 2007-2009 K-popped! Some rights reserved | Powered by Blogger