Thursday, 24 January 2008

My Wife is a Gangster 2 (2003)

Korean title: 조폭 마누라 2 (Jo-pok Ma-noo-ra 2)

What’s popping:

Oh boy, I couldn’t finish the movie in one sitting. I had to stop midflick and continue watching (for the sake of this review) another day.

If I thought the first movie was aimless in the second half, this sequel to My Wife is a Gangster is aimless from the get-go.

The jokes, some of which hit the spot in the first film, are recycled and old here. How many times are you going to laugh at a chick sucking on the protagonist’s middle finger? Ha. Ha.

The filmmakers try to create a fresh premise for the story by giving the protagonist, Eun-jin (Shin Eun-gyeong, 신은경 reprises her role), amnesia. At the start of the film, we see Eun-jin falling from a high-rise building while beating the crap out of rival thugs, she develops amnesia.

An innocent passer-by Koh (Park Joon-gyu, 박준규) takes her home, nurses her and Eun-jin ends up working for the restaurateur.

Granted, Eun-jin’s attempts to regain her memory (self electric shock therapy, anyone?) is hilarious, but other than that, the film has nothing much to offer.

Familiar face: 'Hey aren't you that chick from Crouching
Tiger, Hidden Dragon?'


Chinese star Zhang Ziyi makes a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it appearance in the film, a pretty blatant attempt to win over the Chinese audience.

Nice try, but this flick needs more than a cameo like that to be engaging.

The plot:

The legendary blade-wielding fighter Eun-jin a.k.a Mantis develops amnesia and lives a quiet life in a small town as a food delivery gal.

Oodles of noodles: Koh (Park, left) and Eun-jin (Shin) preparing dinner

Both her gang members and enemies are looking for her, but to no avail. Well, not until she accidentally wins a Brave Citizen Award for foiling a bank robbery attempt and gets noticed by all and sundry.

Now her men and nemesis want her to remember who she is. The former wants her to lead them again while the latter wants to have the satisfaction of killing her. What will happen?

Watch it:

Again, I got this from my friend’s DVD stash (yes, I took home many DVDs that night). Thank goodness I can give it back to him because I don’t like it.

Pic credit: HanCinema

Related:
My Wife is a Gangster

Digg this story Add to your del.icio.us account del.icio.us

If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to our K-popped! Feed

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness I can give it back to him because I don’t like it.
^ ah not good? I havent watch this or the part 2 yet even tho I have them. Now it will take even stronger motivation to watch them XD

Anonymous said...

i actually really like this movie and the one before it too.. things don't always have to have a purpose in order to be funny... in fact, a good number of korean movies, no offense, are pretty aimless and don't make sense at all. personally, i find this one very entertaining.

Liz said...

Dear anonymous,

We can agree to disagree, that's all. So no offense taken.

Unless you start calling me nasty names and cursing me 'til kingdom come then...I can start calling you nasty names and cursing you 'til kingdom come too, or delete the comment. Heh heh :-P

Go ahead an voice your opinions, people. We need diversity at the site and we love hearing what you think about things...otherwise it would be very boring here.

 

© Blogger Templates| Webtalks | Copyright © 2007-2009 K-popped! Some rights reserved | Powered by Blogger