Thursday, 26 June 2008

My Wife is a Gangster 3 (2006)

Korean title: 조폭 마누라 3 (Jo-pok Ma-noo-ra 3)
Director: Cho Jin-gyu

What's popping:

Lee Beom-soo - isn't he hilarious in the movie? There were moments when I found myself laughing out loud at his dialogue and slapstick comedy.

Of course, some of the gross comedy is played out a little too long, especially the puking in the toilet scene – YUCK. But that's more of a personal phobia - I had a traumatic experience with vomit when I was a wee lass.

Oh Ji-ho Oppa - aiyoyo, what's with the male ponytail? But I have to admit, he plays the bumbling idiotic sidekick rather well. Expect to see Oppa doing lots of dim-witted antics.

However, the character that is consistently entertaining is Hyun Young's Korean-Chinese interpreter who uses her skill to her advantage, especially after discovering what Aryoung (Shu Qi) is capable of.

Interpret this: 'Don't mess with me Gi-chul, you don't
know the language.'


It’s unfortunate that Shu Qi, who plays the lead in the flick, disappoints. It's not because she didn't put in a good performance, but because she had so little to do - looking pissed most of the time is about all that is required of her.

Also, the action sequences that involve Shu Qi are badly handled. I think I spotted a stunt body double for the actress during the fight in the bar. Why does she need a stunt double? She rocks in action sequences! Just watch So Close (I enjoyed that one...and Song Seung-hun had a token role in it? Dang, I didn't know who he was then).

Apart from that, the stunt choreography in MWIAG3 is clumsy and clumsily edited. It fails to glam up Aryoung's character.

Step aside: 'And let the expert deal with this.'

There's more: the plot feels like it's all over the place as the storyline doesn’t keep you engrossed, and the "love story" comes at you out of the blue. I guess the NINE screenwriters (too many cooks!) had to conjure the romance bit up so the plot would jell with the movie's title.

And speaking of the title, don't let it fool you. The film has no connection whatsoever with the first and second flick of the same title starring Shin Eun-gyeong. Yup, Mantis isn't mentioned nor does she make an appearance here. Talk about blatantly riding on past successes (if you want to call it that, because I didn't quite like the previous two flicks either).

MWIAG3 makes below average entertainment, but I guess it has its use. For me, it was good to just zone out before the TV with the film on as I relax after my Korean language test :-).

The plot:

Aryoung (Shu Qi) is a force to be reckoned with. The ruthless daughter of a Hong Kong triad boss is sent to South Korea to lay low after murdering a rival triad boss.

Hello, is it me you're lookin' for?: Gi-chul (right, Lee Beom-soo)
and his boys meet Aryoung (Shu Qi).


Aryoung ends up living with a small-fry Korean gangster named Gi-chul (Lee Beom-soo). Comedy ensues when Gi-chul and his boys, along with an interpreter, gradually discover Aryoung’s real identity and lethal skills.

Watch it:

I tuned in to Astro Kirana (Channel 122) on June 25 at 10.45pm. I'm pretty sure it will be aired again so please check your Astro TV guide. It’s in Korean with your choice of English or Bahasa Malaysia subtitles.

Alternatively, you can get the DVD.

Pics credit: Hancinema

Semi-related:
My Wife is a Gangster 2
My Wife is a Gangster
Lee Beom-soo shows off sculpted physique

0 Comments:

 

© Blogger Templates| Webtalks | Copyright © 2007-2009 K-popped! Some rights reserved | Powered by Blogger