Tuesday, 8 April 2008

K-popped! Kitchen: Mu Saengchae

I'm always so delighted when I'm greeted with dozens of mini plates filled with delicious morsels of food at a Korean restaurant! It seems as if I'm getting all this food for free in addition to my order.

Banchan is a must at every Korean meal and it consists of:

  • Kimchi: spicy pickled vegetables such as the infamous white cabbage kimchi.
  • Namul: marinated steamed or stir-fried vegetables like stir-fried beansprouts.
  • Jorim: a simmered dish in a light broth such as simmered tofu in a light soy sauce.
  • Jjim: a steamed dish such as steamed egg.
  • Jeon: a panfried dish such as pajeon.


Banchan. Working as a dishwasher in a Korean restaurant must be tough.

With the many varieties of kimchi, namul, jorim, jjim and jeon, that's well over dozens of banchan dishes to learn how to make!

Today I decided to try a kimchi banchan called Mu Saengchae which is a simple daikon radish kimchi. Very easy, and very delicious!

Step 1: Ingredients!

Yes, sometimes I play with my food.
The kitchen can be... a lonely place.
  • 1/2 a daikon radish (or white carrot), julienned
  • 1/2 a carrot, julienned (optional, just for colour)
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp gochugaru (or you can use regular crushed pepper flakes which works okay but has a slightly different aroma)

Step 2: Slice, chop, and slice some more!

I learned how to slice my daikon this way from watching Shikgaek!

Cut daikon and carrots into matchsticks and mince your garlic.

Step 3: Mix!


In a plastic container or bowl with a lid, mix the daikon, carrots, garlic, salt, sugar and gochugaru until everything has been evenly coated. Cover the container and let your daikon sit in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight. I left mine in the fridge overnight.

Step 4: Serve!

It's so simple! I didn't expect it to turn out so good, but it did. You can always adjust the seasonings to your liking. Try it!

More K-popped Kitchen!
Omurice
Every Day Bibimbap
Pajeon
Japchae
Su jeong gwa (Persimmon Tea)
Tuna Kimbap
Kimchi Jjigae


Banchan Pic Credit: Wikipedia

14 Comments:

Rooster said...

Hello Chianz, I've been looking for those rice cakes to make dokbuki, like you requested, but I haven't found any in my area!

Still looking. ;)

Anonymous said...

rooster, I always love you k-popped kitchen. i think it's rather lively rather lonely. hahaha...it's good you always try to come with new Korean menu. mine is limited since my area is so hard to find Korean food stuff.

that dish looks yummy...

Orchid said...

Hi Rooster, wow this dish looks so refreshing and yummy. I wish i was there with you so i could try to eat it.

Gochugaru is special Korean red pepper flakes? We can get it from the Korean marts?

Scruffy Acorn said...

Try adding a tiny tiny amount of 멸치액젓 (anchovy sauce) next time. It makes it taste even more yummy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! It looks Yummy I think I had this dish on Saturday.. Is it reeeeeeallyy Spicy/hot?

Anyways tx for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Well... ;D Thanks for still remember my dokbuki ya rooster sshi! u're such a lovely and caring girl... ^^ ofcoz neither ii are also looking for that unique
and special ingredients! but my oma told me that dokbuki was tasting exactly like a hakka or hokkien food named what ady... ~~
hope that one day somebody will send me a pack of cooked dokbuki
n throw it infront of my hs... @@
ahhaah.... ur carrot are looking masisoyo n kiyota oh... :'p lolx!
rooster sshi,will this side dishes
taste spicy,sweet or sour? coz it was looking red n I loved sweet and sour... nyummmy!!!!

Rooster said...

Meiruo: Thanks! Haha, yea, it must be difficult finding Korean things in Terrenganu.

Orchid: Yes, you can get gochugaru at the Korean mart. I saw big bags of it when we were in Ampang last time.

I don't know how special gochugaru is compared to other red pepper flakes. Anybody know? What kind of chilli is it?

scruffy acorn: Thanks for the tip! :)

mel: It can be spicy. Put less chilli flakes if you can't take the heat. ;)

Chianz: It's a spicy, slightly sweet and salty dish. You can play around with the ingredients and add the amounts to your liking. I bet you could add a bit of vinegar to make it sour.

I think I know what your oma is talking about. In hokkien it's "meehoon kuih" or "meehoon ge". It's made from rice flour and yes, it's just like dokbuki! I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

cyndy said...

wow.. this is great.. I've always like korean side dishes.. & now I can DIY myself..

Anonymous said...

HAHA You are so creative! Looks yummy and so unbelievably easy! No wonder Koreans can cook so many sidedishes... But I hear you about the poor dishwasher OMG... So wonder there is not a drought in South Korea from all the water used for washing those dishes! When I cook i use the same bowl over and over so I don't have to wash :-P
Ok I'm rambling but I really don't like washing dishes hehe

Liz said...

Wow Rooster, that looks good. Wish I was there :-(.

Anonymous said...

Looks great even if you are lonely doing it.

Anonymous said...

yup rooster... ^^ u're right!!! that's de hokkien version rice cakes found in M'sia... ~~ unfortunately korean rice cakes were in round shape like hakka version chee cheong fun... :'D
I wish PJ havin korean restaurant which selling dokbugi by take-away just like McD, lolx... fast food* coz in korean streets,everywhere also also can easily found dokbugi by a stall or even hawker centre! oh ii missed korean so much...

Anonymous said...

Working as a dishwasher in a Korean restaurant must be tough.
*pwahahahaha* That was crack!

Seeing all these my mouth water already..it's ok tomorrow I am having Korean lunch ;) Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

hey rooster,
i was wondering if u can make jja jang myun sometimes..coz i really want to make it..well, it's juz a suggestion though..:D

p/s: ur cooking looks delicious..u're making me hungry by looking at the pictures..lol..

 

© Blogger Templates| Webtalks | Copyright © 2007-2009 K-popped! Some rights reserved | Powered by Blogger